"A line is a dot that went for a walk." Paul Klee

Sketch-an-Etch is my first MFA project at Columbus College of Art and Design. For the semester long project I will be mixing Intaglio and Screen-printing techniques to create a unique edition of prints. This visual blog will document my path to the finish.

Thursday, October 14, 2010






After my critique last week I was presented with many challenges and new ideas of how to improve my project. Discarding some ideas and embracing others, led me to learn a new twist on etching an image on the copper plate...A quick explanation...First I take a photo of my Etch-A-Sketch drawing and print it on acetate. Next I expose the drawing on the copper plate with a light unit and a light sensitive film, similar to photo-screen printing. Then I etch the plate for two hours, clean it, and print! I am satisfied with the line quality, it is similar to the prints I have already made, but I think it seems a bit more mechanical...which is a good thing. You really have to see the prints in person to get this comparison. These images are not great either of course, taken in the studio why they are thumb-tacked drying. I am focusing on fun, light-hearted subject matter that is connected to Columbus. Virginia gave me an idea to try to draw an Etch-A-Sketch within an Etch-A-Sketch, which I am going to try and I find humorous. Also there is an E-S in my studio now, feel free to play and leave me drawings.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! You might like this.. =)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1LzSF_9wbc

    Kayane

    ReplyDelete