"A line is a dot that went for a walk." Paul Klee

Sketch-an-Etch is my first MFA project at Columbus College of Art and Design. For the semester long project I will be mixing Intaglio and Screen-printing techniques to create a unique edition of prints. This visual blog will document my path to the finish.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

New Insights in Mid Semester

This past week I slowed down print production and reflected on my project. I was feeling restless with the overall concept and gave my attention to other projects. On Friday evening I came to the conclusion that I needed to change the subject matter.

I stared at the prints hanging on the wall in my studio and I realized the Etch-a-Sketch print is similar to a target with its bright red frame. It calls the audience to come and look because most people relate to the toy. I realized I should take that opportunity to get the viewer to think twice about their actions in life. Therefore,

I am going to produce a new edition of Etch-a-Sktches that voice the opinion "Oil and Water Don't Mix." The images I have been drawing on the Etch-A-Sketch are related to the production of bottled water, the oil spill, plastic in the ocean...the great garbage patch, the tiny amount of freshwater vs. growing population, ect.

The images are going to be printed with the photo etching and screen-print processes. I want to make 8-10 more images and have several prints of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment